If your attending physician decides to prescribe you an antidepressant drug, he will most likely recommend you to buy Prozac. This medicine is among basic antidepressants, prescribed for a wide range of mental disorders: depression, bipolar disorder, OCD, bulimia nervosa and alcoholism.
When you buy Prozac, you will get a high quality treatment course and visible results within the first 4 weeks. This drug has a high pharmacological safety level, which is why it is prescribed for most depressed patients who have no contraindications to its use.
Basic information about Prozac
- Comes in 10mg, 20mg or 40mg capsules.
- Helps people recover from depression.
- Refers to drugs known as SSRIs.
- Has better tolerance compared to TCAs.
- Recommended for the relief of depression symptoms and certain other mental disorders.
- The effect of therapy usually manifests in about 1-1.5 months.
What is Prozac and what does it treat?
Prozac increases the concentration of monoamines and corrects neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain. They have been proven to be responsible for changing mood and behavior.
The purpose of Prozac use is to help patients overcome current mental health problems and improve long-term well-being in:
- Clinical depression.
- Simple bulimia.
- Panic disorder.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Pediatric patients should be prescribed Prozac capsules in combination with psychotherapeutic treatment.
Usual oral doses
Full instructions for use are included in the package insert. If in doubt, consult with your pharmacist.
- The usual dose is 1 capsule (20 mg) per day.
- For simple bulimia, the recommended dose is 60 mg, for panic disorder – 10 mg.
Lower doses may be required for pediatric patients, especially those with low birth weight, as well as for the elderly patients.
Pills are taken orally, usually once a day in the morning or twice a day (in the morning and at lunchtime). Take the capsules with water (at least one glass).
Consider using an alarm clock, cell phone, or other means to remind you about using your medication on time.
Before you start treatment
Take extra care with Prozac in the following situations:
- Epilepsy: if you notice that the frequency of seizures increases, see your doctor immediately – he may stop treatment.
- Mania: If you develop a manic state, consult with your doctor immediately – he may stop treatment.
- Diabetes: The dose of insulin or other diabetes medication may require adjustment.
- Liver disease: the dose may need to be adjusted.
Prozac can be passed to babies with breast milk and can cause adverse reactions. You should only breastfeed, if you really need to. If breastfeeding continues, your doctor may recommend using a lower dose.
This medication can suppress your ability to perform potentially dangerous tasks, such as driving a car. Avoid driving vehicles until you know how Prozac affects you.
Are there any risks of adverse reactions?
Like all medicines, Prozac capsules can cause side effects, though not in every person.
If you develop a rash or allergic reaction, such as itching, swelling of the tongue/lips, or shortness of breath, stop the treatment and tell your doctor right away.
Inform your doctor immediately if your skin starts to redden, looks unusually, develops flakes or blisters. This reaction is very rare.
Common side effects include the following:
- Feeling of tension
- Lack of appetite
Most of these or other adverse reactions go away with continued treatment.